Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dream Valley Challenge 10: Use Ribbon

Good morning, my crafty friends. It's time once again for another Dream Valley Challenge, and this time we are asking you to use ribbon somewhere on your project. Don't forget, you can make anything you want...card, layout, altered item, jewelry...as long as it uses ribbon somewhere. If you enter your project in the next 2 weeks, you are in to win a sweet prize from Crafty Ribbons!

I decided to make a layout as my kids' albums are suffering. I should have done a girly page, but as I had already printed this out for my son's album, I just went with it. (The girls' albums are stuck way back in 2006, while my son is up to 2008. I guess it pays to be the youngest HAHA.) This is a photo of the whole family at Clark's Trading Post in NH on our summer vacation, trying to stay dry inside one of the many mini museums while it rained outside. (Rain is typical of any of our family vacations, luckily this is the one time we didn't camp and stayed in a hotel!) Hubby and I had a blast looking at all of the old stuff in the museums, but the kids were mighty bored! A nice man offered to take our picture. I wish the man had done a better job of getting closer and getting us all in the pic! Poor Patryk is almost lost!
I dug out some Cosmo Cricket I'd been sitting on since he was born, papers I thought were perfect for a boy page...Storytime: Jack Sprat, Souvenier: Treasure, and Wanted: Slim Jim and Journaling Cards. I love the look of that Slim Jim wood look background page! I decided to distress the edges of the photo mat and journaling card with my Heidi Swapp edge distresser (it's cute and pink and I love it.) I also decided the photo mat needed to have the upper edge punched, just because. I also coated the word "family" on the journaling card with Ranger Glossy Accents. Love that stuff!

The title is a mix of all sorts of great stuff. I started with "rain rain" in Paperback fabric Thickers. Don't you love that pattern? "Go away..." is written with blue pen and then topped with Ranger Glossy Accents, giving it a nice embossed look. "...all the children want to play" is simply blue pen I added beneath the picture.

A close up, really showcasing that fantastic Glossy Accents.

I got this Imaginisce paper ribbon I found on clearance at a favorite Etsy supply shop, Closeout Girl, part of their Bday Bash line. Love this stuff and how easy it is to mix with other paper lines!

Finally, for my ribbon...I used a couple different kinds and techniques. With the dotted ribbon (Bo Bunny Double Dot ribbon in Decaf), I just let it go crazy, folding it here and wrapping it there, adhering each twirl with Glue Dots micro squares. Those things are so strong! I also added a ribbon flower made from SEI Claire ribbon, with a Marcella by K fabric brad to hold it together.

It's funny, I made this layout using scraps from a card I made for another DT assignment HAHA so backwards, as I normally make cards with the scraps from my layouts!

Anyway, head over to Dream Valley Challenges and show us how you use ribbon. Link up your creation by July 9th and be entered to win a great ribbon prize pack! Hope to see your creation, and enjoy your weekend! I'm hoping the sun makes an appearance. My veggies need it!

8 comments:

melsanford said...

Fab layout! Love the twisted ribbon :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

Lynne in NI said...

Ohhh I love how you used your ribbon Khristen! I faffed about for ages trying to make one of those ribbon flowers, and in the end tied a couple of bows LOL!
Hope the sun comes out soon ... sounds like you're having the same rubbish weather as us!

Susie said...

Such a gorgeous page, Khristen - I love all the different ways you've used ribbon and that bunting looks fab! Susie x

Mel said...

Just stunning!
I so love all of this honey! The ribbon is gorjuss and such a good idea, love the bunting and all the gorjuss papers!
Hugs Melly xxx

Carole of Brum said...

A fabulous page, Khristen, nice to put these family days in a layout. CoB

Lin said...

Love all your funky different fonts here, and the twisted ribbon and ribbon flower give it a real funky dimension.

Lin xx

kate blue said...

I struggle to use ribbon even though I buy it! DO love that BoBunny ribbon with brad techinique-am gonna "try" to sue it on my July DT assignment (yup-I'm JUST starting)...

Anonymous said...

Fabulous page, love the layout. Who would have thought that a ribbon would work so well on a 'boyish' page but it's brilliant. xx