Monday, July 15, 2013

Barkley Sneak Peek: Repurposed Gift Box Tutorial

Hello again from somewhere along the Eastern seaboard. Another scheduled post for you, and I'm hoping that I return before I run out of them!

I wanted to get in on the sneak-y peek-y action for the new Barkley release at Crafter's Companion. These stamps are just too cute, and I can't wait to buy every last one of them (especially with a dog lover in the house *ahem* Rileigh *ahem*)

This post will show you how I turned a gift box containing a fun bracelet into a Christmas gift box with only stamps, paper, and Spray & Sparkle. It's easy, and anyone can do it. Modify the directions for the size/shape of your box. Here we go...

Here's the box I started with.
I sprayed the box lid with Iridescent Spray & Sparkle, adding a second layer when the first was dry for maximum sparkle!

Take a piece of paper and place it against one of the sides of the box in order to determine the size you need. You can use a ruler for this, but it as just as easy to make light pencil lines as I did here. If you are covering the entire edge, it is best to use a ruler to be more precise, but I didn't want to hide the stitched detail on the sides.
Cut it down to size, and erase any remaining pencil marks.
  Adhere to the box lid.
Repeat for all edges.
 Select your image, and color. I used my Spectrum Noir pens: DR2, DR5, DR6 (hat); JG2, JG4 (trees); GG1, GG2, GG3, GG5 (ears, nose, tail, and shadows); TN2, TN3, TN5 (cat); PP4 (paws and cat nose); blender pen and BG1 for the sky. I added Frosted Lace Stickles to the hat, and colored the snowflakes with White Opal Liquid Pearls. 
 While I waited for the Stickles to dry, I matted the sentiment on a piece of the paper decorating the lid and adhered that to the box front. I loved the black leather, and didn't want to hide it.
 When it was dry, I adhered the image to the top of the box.


And that's it! Like I said, you can turn any old boring box into an attractive gift box for any occasion. It's one of my favorite things to do! Have you repurposed a gift box before? If not, you should give it a try!

Don't forget: Barkley stamps will hit the Crafter's Companion store on 7/17. You don't want to miss these, they are absolutely adorable!

xoxo
Khristen

No comments: