Saturday, December 21, 2013

'Tis the Season...Card Season, That Is.

Yes, Christmas card season is in full swing. I have about half of my cards out, the other half to go out by Christmas Eve (yes, you might get them late, but at least you'll get them!), and am happy to report that each and every card is handmade this year! You might remember last year half were handmade, while I resorted to store bought after realizing I just didn't have the time to make the rest. Well, this year I have devised an easier way, one that allows me to be more productive, in terms of my "assembly line" method.

Last year, I started each card from scratch. That included the image that I stamped and colored, all the way to the final embellishment. That can actually be a hindrance in getting your cards out. Think about it: you get into the card zone after completing a card, having a great idea for the next one. The only problem is that you need to stop in between cards to stamp and color the image in. This can disrupt the crafty groove more than you think!

I just took a sheet of Ultra-Smooth Premium White Cardstock (8.5x11) and filled it with stamps that I wanted to include on this year's holiday cards. I don't do them all the same. Rather, each one is unique. They might have the same stamp here or there, but they're colored and designed completely different from one another. So I set out with a collection of holiday stamps from Crafter's Companion. Pictured here are the S.W.A.L.K. Winter EZ Mount Stamp Set - Warm Heart, Paintbox Poppets EZ Mount Stamp Set - Sleigh Ride, and Popcorn the Bear EZ Mount Stamp Set - Just For You all on the same page.

 I got the S.W.A.L.K. images colored in first, each one different than the other. Both girls feature FS3, FS4, and FS5 for their skin and True Black, OR1 and OR3 for the penguins. The girl on the left has TN5, TN6, GB6 (hair) and PP3, PP4, and PP5 for the bows/clothing. The girl on the right has TN2, TN3, TN4 hair, PL1, PL2 bows, and HB1, HB2, and HB3 clothing. They both have Frosted Lace Stickles on the fur accents of their clothing.

And here's the card I put the pink-suited cutie on. I stamped the sentiment directly onto the patterned paper with rich, deep Memento Luxe Natuical Blue ink. I just love that stuff!


 
 
 Today, I hope to complete my cardmaking for the holiday season. They will all be sent in the mail on the 24th, and I can start to enjoy the holiday with my own family more peacefully, knowing I got it all done!! It feels good to say that -- ever since Patryk was born, it felt like I just couldn't get all of the usual holiday tasks completed. I'm happy to say that after 6 years, even after picking up more work and having less available time to get things done, I have gotten back into the swing of the holiday routine. I love Christmas! I'm hoping to get one more post in before Christmas, but in case I don't, I hope everyone has a peaceful, relaxing holiday with the ones they love. May 2014 bring you abundant blessings and happiness (and craftiness!)




xoxo

Khristen

No comments: