Monday, June 10, 2013

CC Summer Challenge: Poppies!!

I love poppies. So very, very much! They are so beautiful. Outside the window I work in front of, I planted gorgeous, red poppies with deep purple centers, and they make me happy when I stand to stretch or open the window. They tend to bloom right around the start of summer here, and it's my way of knowing that the end of school is near, the end of hectic schedules, and the beginning of beach days and hiking trips. It's camping, garden harvests, canning those garden treats, cookouts, sparklers, and late nights by the fire pit watching the lightning bugs. Poppies remind me that this is all around the corner.

So I decided what better stamp set for the Crafter's Companion summer challenge than the flower that signals summer's arrival? Sheena's A Little Bit Sketchy - Poppies and Daisies Unmounted Stamp Set was calling to me! Here's my creation:

I started by stamping the poppies in Memento Tuxedo Black ink, and coloring it with my Spectrum Noir pens (CR7, DR4, DR7, CG4, CG1). After it was colored, I grabbed a sheet of black Core'dinations cardstock, cut it down to 5X5, and ran it through the embossing machine using the Embossalicious 6X6 Petite Dot Embossing Folder. I lightly sanded the raised dots, making them white, and adhered that to a sheet of red cardstock using my Extra Strong Permanent Tape Runner, adhering it all to the card base. A red satin ribbon over it all, and a matching bow in the upper corner, coordinated perfectly! I adhered the image with adhesive circles, stamped the sentiment and double matted it, adhering that to the card, and finishing it off with black Liquid Pearls. Voila! A gorgeous card that someone I know will love very much!

Head over to take a look at the other gorgeous creations from the other design team members, and enter your project in the Crafter's Companion Summer Challenge! You have a shot at winning a gift certificate to the Crafter's Companion Store

xoxo
Khristen

7 comments:

Sharon said...

This is gorgeous Khristen. I love poppies and you have coloured these beautifully. The colour combo is so striking.
I have just bought 6 sets of Spectrum Nois and so far, after practising with them, I love them.
Hugs Sharon x

Denise Price said...

Great card! I love how the red pops against the b/w background.

Rufus said...

So pretty! The poppies just, well, pop right off the card!
R/

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful card!Love the embossing,Awesome!!!

Amy Martin said...

Super pretty card. Love the poppies. Well done.

Verna Angerhofer said...

What a stunning card design. Love the red, black and white. Such elegance!

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

Beautiful card. Love the classic red and black colors. TFS