Monday, March 5, 2012

XOXO March Challenge: Pinterest-ed!!

Who out there hasn't been bitten by the Pinterest bug? I certainly have, and it serves as a great place to collect inspiration, quotes, sketches, and more that I can use later on when the moment is just right. This month's challenge over at the True XOXO Girls blog was to use Pinterest as our inspiration source for a project, and I was ready to jump right in! One of my boards is a quotation board, filled with great quotes I come across that I feel would be great on one of my pages. I came across a quote that I just had to use to hang on my craft room wall and set to work. I love the result!

Here's the original pin I was inspired by, created by cookingwiths.blogspot.com (where you'll find a whole pantload of great quotes):
Pinned Image
...and what I made. I tried to incorporate the rainbow-y feel of the original digital design of the quote, bringing the dots in with hexagons all over the background.
 I went to work, prepping the surface (nothing fancy, just a scrap piece of chipboard, probably used in a package containing scrapbook paper to protect it from damage in shipping...did you know I am a habitual repurposer and can't throw anything away EVER?) with white acrylic paint at first, and then misting the heck out of it with some blue glimmer mist. When it dried I pulled out my Balzer Designs punchinella template and used the hexagon pattern, rubbing my black ink pad over it. I varied which direction the template faced for fun :) After it was all dry, it was time to go to town!
 The quote is mainly painted in black acrylic paint (yes, I wrote it first so that I had something to trace...my freestyle text-painting skills aren't that great...) It also features green, white, and yellow fabric thickers, orange MLS alpha stickers, red Jillibean corrugated alpha which I ran the black paintbrush across and outlined in black marker, baby blue Scenic Route alpha also traced, and red acrylic paint for "birds" which I traced over with white gel pen.

 The swallow was traced and then colored in with Spectrum Noir black alcohol ink marker, wings and tail edged in Stickles with a big ol' Hampton Arts glitter glue eye. Different October Afternoon mini market alpha colors were used as well.
I finished it off by adhering some seam binding around the edges. I've been sitting on this for quite some time, and was glad to pull it out. this picture shows the glimmery-ness (yes, I just made that a word) of the hanging. It hangs right next to the desk in the craft room and reminds me to keep doing what I do :) We aren't all perfect! Sometimes mistakes can lead us the best art we've ever created!

Head on over and check out the rest of the True XOXO DT's work, they'll knock your socks off! Scraplift one of us for a chance to become guest DT and hang with this fun group of talented ladies for the month. It's the best!

No comments: