Saturday, October 1, 2011

XOXO Challenge Time!

Ok, enough procrastination. Time to post! (I really need to get a little better with this auto-post thing.)

It's the big day over at True XOXO Girls, and I'll tell you, I had a lot of fun creating this month's layout. The challenge: Instagram or Hipstamatic inspiration. I don't have a smartphone and my iPod is a teeny weenie little Nano, so I don't have either of these popular photo apps but I do enjoy seeing what others are doing with them. After pouring over all of the online Hipstamatic images (I kind of went this route as more of my friends use this app, and I love all of the different lenses and filters) it hit me...I am sitting on hundreds of old school sepia toned photos dating as far back as the late 1800's!! Since a lot of the images taken using the app appear faded and aged, these pics were perfect. I came across this pic of my great grandmother sitting on her lawn, and fell in love. It's crazy to see this woman who I knew when she was in her 80's until she passed at almost 102 as a young woman. What was her life like then? Who was she posing for? My great grandfather? What did she imagine her future would be like when this photo was taken? I'll never know. Isn't this why we all scrapbook? I know I would love for my kids to see little stories of my life and what it was like and share it with their kids and so on and so forth...because we're all curious about our family history.

I cut up an Earth Love Cosmo Cricket die cut scalloped circle paper and affixed it to the background (more Earth Love) paper...and then proceeded to mist the hell out of it with a bottle of Shimmerz in Treasured Hymn.
The photo was jealous and wanted to be lifted off the page too, so more foam squares were in order. Add on some Pink Paislee Bayberry Cottage pleated ribbon and a cute little Earth Love chipboard piece (which reads "Helen Mills, year unknown" in white gel pen.) Hard to see, but underneath all of that is yellow glitter adhesive lace from We R Memory Keepers. Love it, but need to get better about using it...it was kind of a pain! A jute bow completes it.
Earth Love chippie letters :) Check out that mist...so shimmery in person!
Jillibean canvas flowers covered in mist (they look awesome in person, just couldn't capture this awesomeness on camera!), jute flourishes, a fussy cut cameo, and a random tag sticker from my stash.
In the center of these flowers are some random brads contained in the kit I got some of the elements you see here from We Scrap on Etsy :)
There you have it! Head over and see what the rest of the DT did for this challenge (and the amazingness of each entry will make your jaw drop) and enter your own Instagram/Hipstamatic inspired layout for a chance to become our GDT for next month. Hang out with the Lipstick Chicks on Facebook all month (we are a pretty awesome group, I'll admit!) It's pretty fun :)

AND....*blog hop alert*...be ready for the True XOXO blog hop coming on October!!

Hope you have a great weekend...off to do some crafty things for World Cardmaking Day :)

xoxo

No comments: