Monday, September 3, 2012

True XOXO Challenge #33: Back to September!

It's time for another True XOXO Scrapbooking challenge, and this time it's all about September and unconventional supplies. September means back to school, and for moms everywhere, it means a host of other things.

For me, it means a return to baking (who wants to heat up the kitchen in the summer? Not this girl!) and kitchen time, when I prepare things to make school days go more smoothly. I make mass batches of waffles and pancakes to freeze (healthier than store-bought frozen waffles/pancakes), homemade syrup to pour on said waffles/pancakes, muffins, breads, crackers, granola bars, etc. I just love the baking! When I saw the parameters of this challenge, I was stumped...until I remembered all of the great kitchen supplies I've been hoarding in a drawer in the craft area for quite some time now.

From there, this page was born:
 That's little ol' me chillin' on my toy horse. I got the Polaroid from my grandmother's photograph collection, something I inherited when she passed away, and it includes her handwriting along the bottom. Apparently, this horse was dubbed "Bucky the Wonder Horse," and I don't know if that's what the toy was called or if that's what my grandmother called it...either way, nice to have the documentation. You'll see that it's patterned paper-free, something I don't do often, and only includes Simple Stores Summer Fresh alphas, banner sticker, and word stickers, as well as Kaisercraft pearls. I pulled out five different colors of bread ties and tags, and decided to use the popsicle sticks for a frame. I was going to ink them up but decided they would look better au naturale, save for the word stickers and pearls. Baker's twine threaded through bread tags made the perfect banner to accent the title!

 I am soooo lovin' how the twist ties/pearls look!


Head on over to the True XOXO blog to see what the other DT members pulled out (check the great use of washers on one of them, blew me away!) and enter your own layout using unconventional supplies for a chance at a guest DT spot! Can't wait to see what inspires you :)

Happy Labor Day, off to a cookout (as long as my oldest isn't sick anymore...fingers crossed...I want my cheeseburgers!!)

xoxo
Khristen

No comments: